Major concrete reconstruction on I-215 in western Salt Lake County began May 3, 2016. Crews will remove the existing pavement from 4700 South to S.R. 201 and install new, long-lasting concrete, providing a smoother ride for drivers. Crews will also:
- Replace the bridges at S.R. 201
- Widen the bridges at 3800 South and 3500 South
- Improve ramps at 4700 South and 3500 South
- Add new lanes between interchanges
- Upgrade signs and lighting
- Install ramp meters at 3500 South and 4700 South
The existing asphalt on westbound I-215 from 300 East to Redwood Road was also removed as part of this project, and was replaced with new asphalt pavement.
All work is scheduled for completion by fall 2017.
Ongoing Construction Activities
I-215 reconstruction continues from 4700 South to S.R. 201. Please be aware of the following project activities and scheduled traffic impacts:
- Northbound traffic is now on the new concrete median between 4700 South and S.R. 201 as the travel lanes are reconstructed. There is a lane split with two lanes of traffic on each side of the barrier.
- Traffic exiting at 4700 South, 3500 South and S.R. 201 must be in the two right lanes to exit. Through traffic should stay in the left side of the split. Northbound travel lanes will stay in a split configuration until paving is complete this fall.
- I-15, Redwood Road and Bangerter Highway can be used as alternate routes to avoid delays.
- Crews continued concrete paving this week and will continue paving operations through next week. Nearby businesses and residents may experience additional noise and vibration during this work.
3500 South Interchange
- The westbound 3500 South ramp to northbound I-215 is closed through late June for reconstruction. Please view this alternate route map to see suggested routes for traveling north.
- The northbound I-215 ramp to westbound 3500 South is closed through July for reconstruction of the ramp and the northbound 3500 South bridge. Please view this alternate route map to see suggested routes for traveling west.
- Crews are reconstructing the northbound I-215 bridge at 3500 South.
- Drivers can expect overnight lane closures on 3500 South as crews are working.
- Crews are reconstructing the northbound I-215 bridge at 3800 South.
- Drivers can expect daytime lane shifts and shoulder closures on 3800 South as crews are working.
S.R. 201 Interchange
- The eastbound S.R. 201 loop ramp to northbound I-215 is closed through summer to maintain safety for drivers in the northbound split. This ramp will be reconstructed while it is closed.
- Drivers can use I-80 as an alternate or Redwood Road or California Avenue to access northbound I-215.
- Traffic will be shifted onto temporary pavement on the northbound I-215 ramp to eastbound S.R. 201 as crews reconstruct the ramp. One lane of traffic will remain open on the ramp at all times.
- Drivers can expect single lane closures overnight on S.R. 201 at I-215 as crews work on the bridge.
As a reminder, I-215 may have intermittent lane closures during daytime and nighttime hours, seven days a week. Lanes are shifted and narrower throughout the work zone, so drivers should use caution and adhere to the 60 mph speed limit. Please plan ahead and visit udottraffic.utah.gov for the latest traffic information before beginning your trip through the area.