Major concrete reconstruction on I-215 in western Salt Lake County began May 3, 2016. Crews will remove the existing pavement from 4700 South to S.R. 201 and install new, long-lasting concrete, providing a smoother ride for drivers. Crews will also:
- Replace the bridges at S.R. 201
- Widen the bridges at 3800 South and 3500 South
- Improve ramps at 4700 South and 3500 South
- Add new lanes between interchanges
- Upgrade signs and lighting
- Install ramp meters at 3500 South and 4700 South
The existing asphalt on westbound I-215 from 300 East to Redwood Road was also removed as part of this project, and was replaced with new asphalt pavement.
All work is scheduled for completion by fall 2017.
Ongoing Construction Activities
I-215 reconstruction continues from 4700 South to S.R. 201. Please be aware of the following project activities and scheduled traffic impacts:
- Crews are removing concrete from the last section of roadway to be reconstructed and are preparing it for paving over the next week. Nearby businesses and residents should expect additional noise and vibration.
- There is a lane split for northbound traffic from 4700 South to S.R. 201 with two lanes of traffic in the median and the two outside lanes of traffic on the new concrete. Please use caution while driving in the work zone in this new configuration.
- Traffic exiting at 4700 South, 3500 South and S.R. 201 must be in the two right lanes to exit. Through traffic should stay in the left side of the split. Northbound travel lanes will stay in a split configuration until paving is complete this fall.
- I-15, Redwood Road and Bangerter Highway can be used as alternate routes to avoid delays.
3500 South Interchange
- The eastbound 3500 South to northbound I-215 ramp is closed through September for reconstruction. Please view this alternate route map to see suggested routes for traveling north.
- Drivers can expect lane closures on 3500 South at night while crews are working on the ramp.
S.R. 201 Interchange
- The eastbound S.R. 201 loop ramp to northbound I-215 is closed through mid- to late September to maintain safety for drivers in the northbound split. This ramp is being reconstructed while it is closed.
- Drivers can use I-80 as an alternate or Redwood Road or California Avenue to access northbound I-215.
- Crews are reconstructing the northbound I-215 bridge over S.R. 201.
- Drivers can expect single lane closures overnight on S.R. 201 as crews are working.
As a reminder, I-215 may have intermittent lane closures during daytime and nighttime hours, seven days a week. Lanes are shifted and narrower throughout the work zone, so drivers should use caution and adhere to the 60 mph speed limit. Please plan ahead and visit udottraffic.utah.gov for the latest traffic information before beginning your trip through the area.