Current Construction Status
S.R. 201 to 12300 South & 7200 South Widening
In observation of Pioneer Day and to accommodate holiday traffic, there will be no lane restrictions or closures from 12pm Monday, July 23 thru 9pm Wednesday, July 25. Crews will operate normal hours before and after the holiday.
New Construction Activities
- Paving of the new southbound lane will begin as early as Wednesday, July 25, for the section between 11400 S and 12300 S.
- Wall panels will be placed between 9000 S and 10600 S.
- A temporary wall will be placed on the 7200 S onramp.
HOV Suspension Reminder
HOV/Express Lanes are suspended through the I-15 Southbound project from S.R. 201 to 12300 S. These suspensions will be in place for the duration of the project.
Solo drivers may use the HOV lane as a general-purpose lane as crews work to keep traffic flowing but should note the following:
Important – When using the HOV/Express Lane
- Don’t cross the double white lines–it’s unsafe and illegal.
- Don’t weave in and out–enter and exit at designated areas indicated by white-dotted lines.
- Trailers and vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 12,000 pounds are not allowed in the two left lanes.
Visit UDOT’s Express Lane info page for more information on using the Express Lanes properly.
Ongoing Construction Activities
The following are ongoing activities along the Project corridor.
Please note that due to weather, Project conflicts, utility issues, or equipment/supply issues, schedules are subject to change.
- Crews will continue to work along the southern segment of the I-15 Southbound project – from I-215 to 12300 S.
- Work will include:
- Demolition of existing barrier and concrete pavement
- Roadway excavation and drainage work along the outside shoulder
- Placing roadway base layers along outside shoulder
- Installing retaining wall at 10000 S.
- Motorists should be aware of bumps in the pavement from 3300 S. to 12300 S. as crews prepare for bridge pavement preservation work.
- Crews are continuing bridge repair work from S.R. 201 to 12300 South.
- The 7200 S. to southbound I-15 on-ramp is reduced from 2 lanes to 1 lane to accommodate ramp and wall construction for the new interchange configuration.
- The point where traffic from I-215 merges from three lanes to two before entering southbound I-15 traffic has shifted north to allow for construction of the new interchange configuration. Previously, motorists merged left to right – now, motorists merge from right to left.
What to Expect
- Drivers can expect nightly lane closures, including on and off ramps.
- Lane closures may occur on the following schedule:
- Monday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Friday, 11 p.m. – 6 a.m.
- Saturday, 11 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Sunday, 6 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Drivers can expect temporary barriers and the outside shoulder to be closed. Use inside shoulder or signed pullouts in case of emergency.
- Residents and businesses adjacent to active construction can expect some increase in noise and dust.
To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, UDOT is adding a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expanding 7200 South, west of the freeway. Work will include:
- Adding a lane to southbound I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South in Salt Lake County.
- Widening 7200 South to three lanes in each direction from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale.
- Modifying the I-15 interchange at I-215 to improve traffic flow.
The I-15 Southbound project will use $180 million dollars in state funds, which accounts for the environmental study, design and construction.
- Construction expected to span two construction seasons