Current Construction Status
S.R. 201 to 12300 South & 7200 South Widening
I-15 Southbound Weekly Construction
The I-15 Southbound Team is pleased to announce the opening of the new southbound lane from 7800 S. to 12300 S. The lane is now open to keep Utah moving!
- Motorists should be aware that construction will continue in this area throughout next year, but the new lane is available for use now, even as construction continues.
Holiday Work Schedule
Construction work will be suspended Wednesday through Sunday in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. There will be no lane restrictions or closures from 5 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21, thru 5 a.m. Monday, Nov. 26. Some traffic control devices must remain in place during this time for safety reasons. Crews will operate normal hours before and after the holiday.
New Construction Activities
- Beginning Tuesday, Nov. 27, traffic from the 7200 S on-ramp will shift to a new configuration that allows crews to continue work in the area. Specifically, traffic flow from the 7200 S. on-ramp will merge with traffic from I-215 prior to entering I-15 southbound.
- Beginning as early as Friday, Nov. 30, crews plan to shift the WB I-215 to SB I-15 ramp to a new configuration. Motorists will merge earlier with EB I-215 traffic on the collector ramp. Please slow down and use caution in this area.
Please note that due to weather, Project conflicts, utility issues, or equipment/supply issues, schedules are subject to change.
Ongoing Construction Activities
The following are ongoing activities along the Project corridor.
Crews will continue work along the northern and southern segments of the I-15 Southbound project – from 3300 S. to 12300 S. Work will include:
- Roadway excavation and drainage work along the outside shoulder
- Paving of new lane along the shoulder
- Placing of permanent barrier along the shoulder
- Demolition of existing barrier and concrete pavement
- Dominion Energy (Questar) is working** on 7200 S. between 700 W. and just west of Bingham Junction Blvd. This work is anticipated to be complete by end of November and includes shoulder closures and possible sidewalk closures along the north side of the road between I-15 and Bingham Junction. **This work is not associated with the I-15 Southbound project but is occurring in the project area.
- Work to widen the 5900 S. and 4800 S. bridges to accommodate the additional southbound lane has been underway and is scheduled to continue for several weeks. Area residents and businesses may notice an increase in construction noise and vibrations while this work occurs, including overnight hours. This will include day and night-time flagging operations on both 5900 S. and 4800 S. to accommodate bridge construction.
- Crews will continue working from 7800 S to 12300 S primarily along the shoulder. Drivers can expect narrowed shoulders at all hours.
What to Expect
- Drivers can expect nightly lane closures, including on and off ramps.
- Lane closures may occur on the following schedule:
- Monday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Friday, 11 p.m. – 7:30 a.m.
- Saturday, 11 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Sunday, 6 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Drivers can expect temporary barriers and the outside shoulder to be closed. Use inside shoulder or signed pullouts in case of emergency.
- Residents and businesses adjacent to active construction can expect some increase in noise and dust.
HOV Suspension Reminder
HOV/Express Lanes are suspended through the I-15 Southbound project from S.R. 201 to 12300 S. These suspensions will be in place for the duration of the project.
Solo drivers may use the HOV lane as a general-purpose lane as crews work to keep traffic flowing but should note the following:
- Don’t cross the double white lines–it’s unsafe and illegal.
- Don’t weave in and out–enter and exit at designated areas indicated by white-dotted lines.
- Trailers and vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 12,000 pounds are not allowed in the two left lanes.
Visit UDOT’s Express Lane info page for more information on using the Express Lanes properly.
To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, UDOT is adding a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expanding 7200 South, west of the freeway. Work will include:
- Adding a lane to southbound I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South in Salt Lake County.
- Widening 7200 South to three lanes in each direction from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale.
- Modifying the I-15 interchange at I-215 to improve traffic flow.
The I-15 Southbound project will use $180 million dollars in state funds, which accounts for the environmental study, design and construction.
- Construction expected to span two construction seasons