This project extends the Express Lanes (carpool lanes) from Layton Parkway to I-84 in Riverdale. Once constructed, the Express Lane network will be complete from Spanish Fork to Riverdale, approximately 80 miles.
The project goals include:
- Add Express Lanes while maintaining the existing number of travel lanes and minimizing impacts to neighboring properties
- Provide a TravelWise solution to those seeking an improved commute through Davis and Weber Counties
- Utilize property already owned by UDOT for roadway widening
Extending the Express Lane network through Davis County and into Weber County will increase mobility along I-15. On opening day, the Express Lane will provide approximately 20% more capacity on I-15 to help alleviate current congestion. Express Lanes allow for carpooling, which moves more people with fewer vehicles. Solo drivers can purchase the use of remaining capacity of the Express Lanes by paying a toll, which allows additional capacity for all vehicles.
In addition to the Express Lane on I-15, this project will
- Replace the Church Street and 200 South bridges over I-15
- Add an auxiliary lane in Layton to improve drivers' ability to maneuver between lanes and reduce congestion
- Widen and improve several structures along I-15
- Install ramp meters at Riverdale Road, 650 North, and 700 South
- Improve the northbound on- and off-ramps at 5600 South
Environmental Re-evaluation and Final Design is ongoing and will be complete by November 2018 when the project is advertised to contractors. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2019 and will take two seasons to complete. The expected end date is September 2020.