|FA-2076 / Start Milepost: 4.532 - End Milepost: 5.771|
In 2018, Salt Lake City began to replace and rehabilitate aging underground utility lines to improve water and sewer services as part of a two-year effort to reconstruct 1300 East, from 1300 South to 2100 South. This reconstruction project included:
- Replacement of obsolete and decaying drive approaches and sidewalk segments
- Replacement of the pavement, curb, and gutter
- Upgrades to storm drains
- New ADA compliant bus stops
- Adding a dedicated center lane to allow left turns
- New bike lanes in both directions
- A consistent street design to match northern cross section
The project improved access, mobility, and drainage along this important city thoroughfare, and residents will enjoy more resilient utility services now that it has been completed.
|*Actual Advertised Date - March 2019|
|*Actual Construction Start Date - May 2019|
|* Contracted Construction End Date - November 2020|
*Adjusted Construction End Date - December 2020
Crews encountered several delays during Phase 1 of the 1300 East reconstruction project in 2019, including:
- Inclement weather, in May and June 2019, generated soft sub-grade that prevented the contractor from starting as early as desired and slowed overall production.
- Upon starting excavation in Phase 1, 2100 South to 1700 South, a communication duct bank was found to be shallower than anticipated. Multiple fiber optic lines had to be relocated in advance of the roadway construction to avoid disruptions to internet service, phones, and traffic signal interconnection.
- Installation of new drainage improvements had been delayed by unforeseen third-party utility conflicts. Precautions had to be taken to keep sewer service active along the corridor during drainage installation.
As a result of these delays, Phase 1 concluded in mid-November 2019 and construction work was then suspended for the winter. Phase 2 began May 18, 2020, and was completed in December 2020.
Any further questions or comments regarding the 1300 East Reconstruction project should be directed to the SLC Engineering Department at email@example.com or 801-535-6251.