5. Why did the Corridor Planning Study recommend the Freeway with Frontage Roads design and width?
The recommended design and width:
- Effectively addresses congestion through 2040 based on long-range population and travel forecasting.
- Preserves the width needed for both short- and long-term transportation needs.
- The width will accommodate both frontage roads and the freeway in the short-term and allow for future freeway expansion without further impacts to adjacent property owners.
- Accommodates varied travel needs in the area.
- The lower-speed frontage roads maintain access to local roads while the middle freeway lanes allow commuters to bypass local roads and reduce congestion.
- Accommodates future transit and is compatible with frontage road bike lanes and trail improvements.
- Provides sufficient separation between the frontage roads and freeway.
- This eliminates the need to build expensive soil-retaining walls that would require future maintenance and replacement.