Express Lanes Frequently Asked Questions
About the Express Lanes
What are the Express Lanes?
- Passenger vehicles with more than one person
- Passenger vehicles with one person and an Express Pass in Toll mode or a Clean Vehicle Pass
- Buses and motorcycles
- Vehicles over 12,000 Gross Vehicle Weight
Who can use the Express Lanes?
Where can I enter and exit the Express Lanes?
- Green indicates an Express Pass was read and a toll charged. All vehicles with one occupant should show this indication.
- Yellow indicates the vehicle does not have an Express Pass or that an Express Pass wasn’t read and law enforcement should check if the driver is carpooling. Only vehicles with two or more occupants, buses, or motorcycles should show this indication.
- Blue indicates that the Express Pass is invalid. If you see this color when you drive in the Express Lanes, contact a customer service representative.
What do the indicator lights on the barrier mean?
About the Express Pass
What is an Express Pass?
How much does an Express Pass cost?
Can I use my Express Pass in more than one vehicle?
How is the toll determined?
How long does it take to get an Express Pass?
How do I install my Express Pass?
Managing Your Express Pass Account
How does my Express Pass account work?
How do I update my Express Pass Account?
What if my Express Pass is lost, stolen or damaged?
How do I cancel my Express Pass account?
About the Clean Vehicle Program
May I use the Express Lanes for free as a solo driver with a Clean Fuel vehicle?
What does it cost to get a Clean Vehicle Pass?
Can I move my Clean Vehicle Pass to another vehicle or a new windshield?
What should I do when I sell my vehicle?
How do I install my Clean Vehicle Permit, Pass, and Sticker?
Carpooling in the Express Lanes
What qualifies as a carpool?
Will I be charged when I'm carpooling if I have an Express Pass in my vehicle?
Laws and Regulations
- Utah Code Title 41 Motor Vehicles Chapter 6a Traffic Code Section 702 Left Lane Restriction, (41-6a-702)
- Utah Code Title 72 Traffic Code Chapter 6 Construction, Maintenance, and Operations Act Section 118
- Utah Administrative Code R926-9: Establishment, Designation and Operation of Tollways
- Clean Fuel Vehicle Decal, (72-6-121)
- Utah Administrative Code, Rule R926-11 Clean Fuel Decal Program
- Title 23 of the United States Code Section 166
- Title 23 of the United States Code Section 129
What are the Express Lane laws?
What is the penalty for violating the Express Lanes' carpool requirement?
- UDOT Traffic Operations Center
- Express Lanes Program
- PO Box 148270
- Salt Lake City, Utah 84114