Utah Department of Transportation provides training for State employees and other organizations, contractors and consultants that work with our State Transportation System
Environmental Control Supervisor (ECS) Course Information & Responsibilities
- In order to increase protection of environmental resources within and adjacent to UDOT construction sites, UDOT often requires the contractor to designate an Environmental Control Supervisor for selected projects. Types of projects that may require an Environmental Control Supervisor include those that have 404 Permits, UPDES Permits, Stream Alteration Permits or other environmental concerns.
- This Online training is provided by UDOT for those individuals that desire to serve as an ECS. A certificate of completion will be awarded to those who successfully complete this Online Course and pass a exam with a score of 80% or higher. This certificate of completion is required to comply with UDOT’s Special Provision for an Environmental Control Supervisor.
- Responsibilities Include:
- Inspecting the project site for compliance with UPDES and other environmental permits
- Ensuring that environmental protection measures in the plans are implemented on the project
- Maintaining temporary erosion and sediment control measures
- Modifying the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan as required
- Obtaining additional environmental clearances for off-site work
- Coordinating with the UDOT construction crew’s ECS
- Ensuring all environmental mitigation commitments are followed on the project
- Topics Covered
- UDOT’s Environmental Process
- ECS Qualifications
- Clean Water Act
- Pollution – Point Source vs. Non-Point Source
- UPDES Requirements
- SWPPP – Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans
- Erosion and Sediment Control
- BMP’s for Erosion and Sediment Control
- Wetland Permits and Mitigation Requirements
- Stream Alteration Permits and Mitigation Requirements
- Invasive Species
- Hazardous Waste
- Discoveries during Construction
- Environmental Clearances by the Contractor needed due to work outside the original study area.
Login to the UDOT University Portal and search for “ECS” to register for the Certification. You will then select the course “Environmental Control Supervisor Training”. Once you complete the training and exam, you may print your Certificate.
Contractor & Consultants UDOT University Login
Employee UDOT University Login